March 21, 2008

Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

I was a big fan of Lisa Lutz's The Spellman Files when it came out last year. It reminded me a lot of some authors I read like Janet Evanovich and Sarah Strohmeyer. (It wasn't as good as Evanovich, but it was better than Strohmeyer.) It was about a young woman who works in her family's private detective business. Funny, but with a good mystery. I really liked it.

So when I saw that Lisa had a new book coming out, I ordered it right away from the local bookstore. This was something I didn't want to miss. Although it's not as good as the first one, Curse of the Spellmans is another good book.

Izzy Spellman is back and she gets into even more hilarious trouble in this sequel. She even meets a guy this time, although he's not what she thinks at first. The story is good and I really like Izzy's character. (One thing that bugged me is that the book has silly footnotes. At first I thought it was kind of funny, but then I got tired of them.)

One of the things we always looked for at the library was how an author's second book did. A lot of times a first novel would get a lot of attention, especially if it made the bestseller like like Lisa's first book did. In my opinion, her second book was a little bit of a letdown. I still wanted to write about it, because Lisa's a good writer and I think people who liked the first one will like this one, too. But I hope she does even better if she writes another one.

2 comments:

Clea Simon said...

I'm afraid to say I agree with you. Still enjoyed it, but not as fresh and whipsmart as the first. I'll still try no. 3, though!

Anonymous said...

I will try no. 3 too! SEcond novels are hard, so I'm willing to give an author another chance.